Recipe of the Month
The secret to success with April’s recipe is to slice the lemons paper thin. This way, as the fish poaches, the lemons soften and mellow so you can eat them rind and all! Yum!
Oven Poached Pickerel
with Lemon and Capers
- 2 Ontario pickerel fillets – 8 oz. each
- 2 lemons sliced paper thin
- ¼ red onion thinly sliced
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 tsps butter
- 2 T capers
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Splash of white wine (optional)
- Dusting of turmeric (optional)
- Fresh chopped parsley
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Rinse pickerel fillets and pat dry.
- Prepare 2 sheets of parchment paper of sufficient size to wrap each fillet individually. Drizzle both with 1 T of olive oil.
- Distribute half of the lemon slices and all the red onion slices on each sheet of parchment paper and then place pickerel fillets skin side down on lemons. Season fillets with salt and pepper and place remaining lemon slices on top. Sprinkle with capers and dust lightly with turmeric if using. Drizzle remaining olive oil and dab butter on each fillet, add splash of white wine and parsley. Wrap sides of parchment together and twist ends under the fillets to ensure a good seal.
- Place parchment packages on a cookie sheet and bake in oven for 15 – 20 minutes depending on thickness of fillets. Remove from oven and carefully open parchment packages so as not to burn your hands.
- Serve the fillets and their poaching juice over quinoa with steamed green beans on the side.